pusher or puller?? categorising sprinters

Discuss topics related to sprint training! Topics should be related to the development of acceleration, speed, speed endurance, special endurance, or tempo endurance training.
mark

pusher or puller?? categorising sprinters

Postby mark » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:08 am

how exactly can you determine what sort of a sprinter an athlete is?
I've seen the terms pusher and puller used to categorise sprinters. Most sprinters would dispaly elements of both these traits. Could there be other categories?

athlete.x
Site Admin

Re: pusher or puller?? categorising sprinters

Postby athlete.x » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:19 pm

Stu at Altis said that he likes to categorize athletes into:

• Single Leg Push
  • Single Leg Pull
  • Double Leg Push
  • Double Leg Pull

Realistically, most people fall somewhere on a sliding scale relative to these biases, but some will show a marked preference toward one or another.

A good way to start figuring out what someone is best at is to simply ask them.
Do they prefer to squat or deadlift? Push a prowler or pull a sled?
Do they look coordinated doing double leg jumps? How about single leg jumps?
Do they throw a shot much further when tossing it backwards, or are they better at tossing it forward?

Some athletes might be able to absorb vertical forces better, so they can sort of bounce their way down the track with ease. Others will collapse upon ground contact. Some may have somewhat of a lateral bias, whereas others have a linear bias.

mark

Postby mark » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:12 pm

thanks for your reply Cody

so you've seen my video, what would you say,

am i a pusher or puller?

mark

Postby mark » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:09 pm

can you link the idea that sprinters can be either quad dominant or hip glute dominant to this topic?

for example, a pusher may be more quad dominant and puller more hip / glute dominant.

Any thoughts Cody?

athlete.x
Site Admin

Postby athlete.x » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:14 pm

It is possible, although I've seen athletes who can't push well yet they activate their quad way too much during the swing phase, causing the foot to cast out too far forward.

Pushers tend to start well, but stay anterior tilted in the pelvis and look like they're almost falling forward after 30m.

Pullers will have a tendency to reach early on and have poor acceleration, but once upright have better posture and ground contact mechanics.

OliveDynamite

Postby OliveDynamite » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:24 pm

Pusher seems to describe me perfectly as in the good start and then it looks like I'm falling at the end of the race.
Does being a pusher alter the way I should be training? These are words I've heard but never fully understood

Return to “Sprint Training”