Getting back to sprinting after Os Trigonum removal surgery.

Discuss topics related to sprint training! Topics should be related to the development of acceleration, speed, speed endurance, special endurance, or tempo endurance training.
oscar3

Getting back to sprinting after Os Trigonum removal surgery.

Postby oscar3 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:38 am

6 weeks ago I had a problematic Os Trigonum removed (http://www.aofas.org/footcaremd/treatme ... scopy.aspx).

It has been impacting on my training since January so my training has been 2 weeks on 2-3 weeks off since then and obviously nothing since surgery.

I want down to about 11.1 hand timed for 100m late last year and had been sprinting for 18 months.

Just looking for a rough idea of programming and some gym exercises to add into training to get me back on track to reach sub 11 8-)

Any opinions would be greqt

athlete.x
Site Admin

Re: Getting back to sprinting after Os Trigonum removal surgery.

Postby athlete.x » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:20 pm

Oscar, thanks for the post!

Start out with a framework of progressions:
  • Slow to Fast
  • Moderate load to heavier load
  • Simple to Complex
  • Bilateral to Unilateral

I surely wouldn't rush into sprinting in spikes, maxing out in the weight room, or doing depth drops. Training prep is a marathon, not a sprint.

For running, start with some easy tempo runs on some nice grass. Use these sessions to pay attention to how you contact that ground, and I'd advise filming from a close enough distance so you can see a few strides in a row and analyze any issues with your technique or gait. Tempo runs are generally prescribed as 100-300m at 75% or LESS.

As you feel comfortable, start incorporating some grass accelerations which are done in a build-up fashion. Start out at 75% then increase to 80/85/90% throughout the run. These runs can help gauge where you are from an intensity standpoint. They also can help teach you to progress your rythm/cadence/frequency in a natural fashion. People often try to be too quick with their feet early in the race, and this spells for burnout later on.

In the weight room, choose big movements that help stimulate large recruitment of muscles (deadlifts, squats, hip thrusts, etc), and be patient with your progressions. Supportive work should target your posterior chain, quads, and core (dead bugs, planks, reverse plank hamstring march, suitcase carries, waiter carries, anti-rotation with bands, etc).

The biggest thing is to analyze:
  • Where you are at now
  • Where you want to be
  • What are all the steps along the way to get there without screwing yourself up

Return to “Sprint Training”