When it comes to finding natural pre workout supplement options, you’d be surprised by how hard it can be to find one. With fillers and stimulants, questionable sources and an overall lack of regulation in the supplement industry, buying a natural pre workout can seem nearly impossible. Fortunately, ATHLETE.X has spent a lot of time and energy sifting through the shelves and online stores to find a natural pre workout which is clean, safe, and effective.
This article will cover:
- What I think is the best natural pre workout and why
- What to avoid when searching for pre-workout supplements
- Some other things to think about when buying supplements
What’s my favorite natural pre workout?
After searching, spending a lot of money, and trying a variety of products, my current choice for a natural pre workout is Classified Nutrition’s BEFORE supplement (with code ATHLETEX30%). It is all natural, simple, and effective. BEFORE was built around a few tenants which allow it to be simple, natural, and effective. BEFORE, unlike other products, has 3 ingredients, with zero mystery or “proprietary blends” which leave the consumer in the dark as to what the hell they’re actually ingesting. They even allow you to choose whether or not your pre-workout contains caffeine!
Classified Nutrition also offers you the opportunity to spice up their BEFORE supplement, giving you the option to flavor it with caffeinated or non-caffeinated flavors. Beyond that, you can also add FUEL to your BEFORE, which is a great intraworkout carbohydrate supplement which provides, quick, medium, and long-term digesting carbohydrate sources which allow you to fuel (hence the name) for long workouts or competitions.
What do these ingredients do?
- BCAA’s provide the building blocks for muscle development, including a whopping 5g of L-Leucine, an amino acid which is famous for stimulating muscle protein synthesis and preventing muscle protein breakdown.
- Creatine Monohydrate feeds the short term, high force, high velocity ATP-CP energy system. This is the energy system which allows you to perform high intensity bouts of exercise, such as lifting a heavy weight or sprinting in short bursts. Creatine also has been shown to have neuro-protective, cardio-protective, and anti-alzheimers effects!
- L-Carnitine-L-Tartate is an orally bioavailable form of L-Carnitine, an highly effective amino acid which flips the body’s switch to using fat as fuel. L-Carnitine helps athletes work harder for longer.
BEFORE does a number of things, and it does them well.
- It provides you with the building blocks of muscle, while also ensuring that you do not cause excessive loss of tissue during your workout.
- It provides you with the key nutrient for short term, high intensity efforts.
- It flips the switch to use fat as fuel, helping your body sustain for longer periods of time while cutting fat and preserving lean body mass.
- It allows you to choose whether or not you want stimulants in your pre-workout, something nearly no other product allows for
For now, this is the natural pre workout that I will be sticking with. I’d suggest you try it out! Use code ATHLETEX30% and save 30% off of your order. Note that you get 30% off, and I also get 30% of each order! It is income such as this which allows me to continue to provide free content on here, social media, and YouTube.
What should I avoid when searching for a natural pre workout or other supplements?
While the list could go on for a long time, the following is a list of things worth avoiding when searching for natural supplements.
- Excessive doses of caffeine
- While the safe limit per day os 400mg, you can easily eclipse this number with a couple cups of coffee and a heavy serving of pre-workout later in the day.
- Any hard stimulants
- Supplements like DMAA, methylsynephrine, and other amphetamine based stimulants will crack you out, lead to a crash, and regular use will wreck your neurotransmitter levels.
- These are almost always banned by WADA as well.
- Proprietary Blends
- These are lists of ingredients with no breakdown of the actual amount of any given ingredient.
- Labels will list something like “8000mg Super Crazy Pump Mix Proprietary Blend” followed by a long list of supplements, each of which are likely to make up only a very small amount of the white powder you are ingesting.
- Anything made out of the country
- While the FDA does not regulate the supplement all that much, you can be fairly sure that anything made in the US is at least less likely to contain dangerous contaminants than something made in the far east or elsewhere.
- Magnesium Stearate
- Stearic Acid
- Titanium Dioxide
- Silicon Dioxide
Some other points.
While I am a major fan of using supplements to help with specific uses, it is advisable to only work with a couple of supplements at a time. Whether or not the supplements you have actually work, there is no way to tell if you take a large variety of things all the time. With a few things, such as a good pre-workout, a couple vitamins, and maybe one or two things for specific uses, you will have a real tough time differentiating what is working and what is not. I am not advising against experimentation, but I do advise against becoming obsessive or excessive with your supplement intake and variety. Try this process instead:
- Identify the reasons you want a supplement. In the case of a natural pre workout, I would want something that helps boost my workouts but without harming my health.
- Identify if those reasons require multiple supplements or not, and in this case I would like a blend of a few important ingredients.
- Do some basic research on reputable websites like Examine, or for those inclined to reading studies, Pubmed
- Try them for a while, taking notes of their effects both during and after ingestion.
- Keep what works, ditch what doesn’t.
- Hang out for a while, starting the process over when you deem it necessary.
- First, if you don’t know what natural pre workout to try, I suggest Classified Nutrition’s BEFORE supplement, and you use code ATHLETEX30% to save 30%.
- Second, before you seek something out, make sure it doesn’t have crazy stimulants, proprietary blends, fillers, or anything that is really unnecessary or serves no purpose.
- Always do your best to avoid over-supplementation, otherwise you won’t be able to tell what works and what doesn’t work.
Get Free Training Info
Subscribe to receive free training info.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.